Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Digital D-bags

I realize I may be shooting myself in the foot these past two weeks by calling out people that are on the roster, but I can't help but share this one with you all. I made the responsible decision to stay in last Friday night, catch up on my Netflix (don't put Margot at the Wedding on you Queue FYI) and pretend to do some school work. I obviously fell asleep early watching Law & Order Special Victim's Unit and woke up to a slew of messages in the am, most from friends asking "Where you @" and letting me know that "Our bartender is working!" but among these "thoughtful" notes was a 917 number that wasn't in my phone: "Hey are you out?"

Though it was a classic group text, I have to admit, I was intrigued by the mysterious digits and thought back thru the rolodex of #s I deleted this year. I know its dramatech but I have a tendency to delete a guys # if 1)They are now engaged/married 2)They flaked more than once leaving me waiting alone at Houston's on a Thursday (a fate that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy p.s.), so I texted: "was asleep, who's this?"

and got the following D-bag response: "Russell stupid"

To which I fired back, naturally: "that's an unfortunate last name"

Get it? Of course you all do! But honestly have we lost all sense of nettiquette? I mean c'mon, this is tech 101, not brain surgery, and interestingly the guy's a surgeon...you'd think he could have figured it out. Anyway, you'll be happy to know that I did save his number this time and I bet you can guess what it's under :)

1 comment:

  1. The only person that I have ever prematurely deleted from my phone was a girl who I had a “Techno Affair” with while she was seeing someone else (waiting for you to address that topic FYI). This is where I think men and women differ. Deleting people from my phone is more a matter of utility rather than etiquette… Regardless of how rude they are… I think the male population at large is of a similar mindset. If I am upgrading to a new phone and transferring information over, it’s easier to discard the numbers, and ultimately the people that no longer merit any importance, rather than retain them. (But I suppose that means that on a long enough timeline everyone, with the exception of your closest friends and family gets deleted.) I wouldn’t take someone off of my Face Book list though, no matter how much disdain I’ve developed for them.

    P.S. Noah Baumbach is overrated… I nearly fell asleep watching “The Life Aquatic.” Don’t know why everyone loves that fuckin movie. “The Squid and the Whale” is worth a look…

    ReplyDelete