Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Hopeful Romantech

Why is it that we want our e-dentities to show the present but our identies have to bare the burden of our past?

I've had a recent break up. And it's very fresh. But over the past six months this sureal-ationship has not only taken over my life but it's taken over my Facebook newsfeed, shaped my photo albums and can explain why my blog posts have been more MIA than Paper Planes. I did expect that this would hurt. But I did not expect that it would give me a fear of facebook. A fear of seeing that person is now "listed as single" first and a fear of looking at pics labeled "into 09" as a memory versus part of my life.


The control freak in me wants to untag myself from the past 6 months and return to the days where my e-dentity was shaped by albums that read "San Funcisco" and "If it Ain't Hobroken Don't Fix It" -- but the truth is these photos and experiences have changed me and though they can technically be deleted they cannot truly be erased.

So bare with me as these photos remain fixed while that sad little broken heart pops up on my news feed and my status changes. Luckily, even though I have been on a blogging-sabbatical technology continues to evolve and with it so does romance. New mediums provide new possibilities and remind me that our newest "tweet"hearts could be just 140 characters away. So don't you worry, no matter what has happened I remain a hopeful romanTECH.

11 comments:

  1. Is it innapporpriate to say your bad luck is our good fortune? No matter the circumstances, I'm glad tech romance is back...and not a moment too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, anonymous! I like what your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this blog is true brilliance... and for what its worth - his loss is all of our gains
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe its Karma coming back to haunt all you people who feel the need to share your personal stories online with the world. The biggest breakup in all of this is the loss of the "private life". Blogs, facebook, twitter..all are driven by Ego..admit it or not..but it stems from the belief that you actually think others care what you have to talk about. Maybe if you and the rest spent more time working on your relationships and not updating your profiles with pictures from tropical places...things would work out. Of course Zlata is going to agree with you...she's another one living in the single space indefinitely and naturally she welcomes more to her pathetic camp

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the one reading it. So, admit it or not, YOU care... so shut your hole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, Zlata's camp is a pathetic one. No one would argue that. But our blogger is different...witty, compelling and clear.

    Perhaps this is a learning for the future. Relationship success is a bianary system: Everyone's total of lifetime lasting relationships is either at 0 or 1. Enjoy the moments, the interactions, and spend less time recapitulating what just happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it's BACK

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one truly negative about having old relationship photos up on FB, is that it tends to scare off new suitors. One has the impression that you can't let go... a tough conundrum of identity verse image. Identity is so internal but the represation of that, our outward image, is perhaps not best expressed with every moment of our past. In the end, those photos of past loves maybe best suited for a hard drive. Or for the real heart breakers an external...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What happened to the post about Russell Stupid? I thought it was a classic, was gonna show it to a friend but couldn't find it again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Andi...Thanks for reading. I think you mean Digital Douchebags. Check out the post here:

    http://techromance-jewels.blogspot.com/2008/04/digital-d-bags_15.html

    more to come on the blog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait! I love reading your blog, and so do many others in our office. Sorry to read about your breakup...but glad you're back! Maybe you could write about online dating sites, how it's the same group of lonely hearts on all of them, and whether to make your profile searchable if you think somebody you know might see it and think you're available, when the truth is you're just not available to them...just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete